Contributing to Checkpoint magazine
Checkpoint is the journal of the Audax Australia Cycling Club, produced by members for members of Audax Australia.
The Editor welcomes all types of contributions about long-distance and endurance cycling, particularly material that will be of interest to the members of the Audax Australia Cycling Club.
Stories and information accompanied by photos and graphics are particularly welcome.
If you are writing an article of more than 800-1000 words, please contact the Editor in advance of the closing date so that space can be allocated.
Contributions should not exceed 2000 words. Longer submissions will be accepted at the Editor's discretion but may be edited for length. There is no minimum size for contribution length.
Contributions may include, but are not restricted to:
- ride reports
- touring reports
- member notices
- regional Club news
- letters to the Editor
- promotional information for Australian and overseas Audax events
- information and advice on relevant technical, training, health and medical matters
Paid advertising is also available.
A note to PR companies
Checkpoint magazine rarely publishes articles about charity fundraising rides, unless the story has a unique and remarkable endurance cycling angle. If you send a plain vanilla press release about a charity fundraising ride, it will be ignored.
Submission deadlines remain the same each year, according to the following schedule:
Minor changes to the above schedule may occur to allow for timely reporting of major events.
Written contributions should be in one of the following digital formats (in order of preference):
- plain text (no formatting)
- Open Document Format (.odt)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Microsoft Word Document (.doc or .docx)
Alternatively you may send your contribution within the email message area (especially suitable for shorter contributions).
Please do not:
- apply any text formatting or styles within documents.
- embed images within documents-send as separate attachments.
- attempt to reproduce the magazine layout in Word (this just makes more work for your Editor!)
If your material requires a specific layout (e.g. for a chart, table or form) please send an extra PDF or image of the layout and we will do our best to reproduce it accurately.
Typed contributions may also be submitted by mail. Handwritten submissions are not accepted.
The publication quality of Checkpoint relies heavily on the availability of suitable, high quality photographs and other images. Therefore high resolution digital photographs are always welcome.
High resolution JPEG is acceptable for photographs and EPS or PDF for diagrams/drawings. Other formats may be accepted but please contact the Editor prior to sending. Scanned images should be scanned at actual size (no resizing, no cropping), and be at least 150pi.
Drawings, cartoons and other graphics are all welcome.
If you have a large number of photographs to send, please contact the Editor before emailing. We will often make alternative arrangements.
- Do not embed images within documents-send each image as a separate attachment (or as one attachment, packaged into a zip file).
- If you are not the photographer/artist responsible for an image, please submit contact details for the photographer/artist, and indicate whether the artist has given permission to reproduce the image.
- All images should be accompanied by a caption or explanatory text.
- Provide a left-to-right list of people in each photo (especially for posed group shots).